Sunday, October 18, 2009

Oops.

I guess by "tomorrow" I actually meant "in two months".  Well, shit.  My bad.  Here goes, round two.

I just cooked my first Sunday Roast. And yes, I am capitalizing both sunday and roast, because they deserve the distinction.  A whole chicken is really fucking intimidating.  So much could go wrong.  But, I'm happy to report, that Murphy's Law did NOT prevail, and my first foray into culinary statelihood was a success!  Juicy, delicious chicken meat. Perfectly roasted potatoes and carrots and onions.  And a lovely home made gravy whipped up in the pan with some white wine and the delicious drippings.  

Yes. I did all of that. And yes. My mother did help me.  But the gravy-- that was all my doing. Anything involving wine and eventual food consumption-- I'm all over that shit. Like white on rice, baby, like white on rice.

Alright, I'll cease to recount my glorious kitchen experience, but I will say this.  There is very little that is better on a freezing cold, New England day as it's pissing down rain, than a bottle of white wine, a roasted chicken and the time to putter around the kitchen making it all come to life. I feel a bit like a magician.  Or Nigella Lawson. Or I guess me, grown out of my Annie's Mac limitations. 

Personal growth man.  You heard it here first.

No comments: